Help! I've been in a car accident, what should I do?

If you have been in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria, you have a legal right to claim compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) 

Zaparas Lawyers specialises in TAC law. The firm’s expert team of TAC solicitors are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured individuals. 

We can ensure your entitlement to benefits is determined fairly and reasonably, and can dispute a decision made by the TAC which you do not believe to be just.

If the accident was my fault do I have any entitlements?

You have entitlements as an injured person regardless of who caused the accident. These entitlements include;

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Weekly payments if you are unable to work
  • A lump sum for permanent injury, called an ‘impairment benefit’
What if the accident was someone else's fault?

Over and above the benefits outlined above, if the transport accident was caused wholly  or partially by the fault of another party and you have sustained a serious injury, you may be entitled to make a common law claim. A common law claim may include lump-sum compensation for

  • Pain and Suffering
  • Economic loss
How long do I have to make a TAC claim?

A claim for compensation must be made within one year of the date of the injury or the date when you first realise you are injured as a result of a transport accident.

The TAC may consider a claim made outside this one year limit if reasonable grounds exist for the delay in making a claim, and it is made within three years from the date of the accident or the date you first realise you are injured.

The TAC will not consider any claims made outside this three year period, unless the injured person is less than 18 years of age at the time of the accident. In this case they have until the day before they turn 21 years old to make a claim.

I was in an accident interstate, can the TAC help me?

If you were involved in a transport accident that occurred outside of Victoria, you will still be entitled to TAV benefits if:

  • You are a Victorian resident who was injured in an accident involving a Victorian registered vehicle, or
  • You are a non-Victorian resident who was injured as an occupant of a Victorian registered vehicle.

If a Victorian registered vehicle was not involved your accident , your claim will be governed by the relevant authority in the state in which the accident occurred.

What should I do next?

Make an appointment to see one of our TAC solicitors who will answer any questions you have and give a comprehensive overview of your legal rights.

Where are your offices?

We are conveniently located in the heart of Oakleigh, however Zaparas Lawyers assist clients all around Melbourne and regional Victoria. Many of our clients reside in the Northern and Western suburbs so we also have an office at St Albans. We have recently opened an office in Preston and Cranbourne and our solicitors are happy to make a home visit if required.

What should I bring to the appointment?

Please bring all relevant documentation you have such as completed claim forms, letters from the TAC, medical reports, radiological investigations and any other documents that may be relevant.

English is my second language, are you able to provide an interpreter?

Our firm has a diverse and multicultural team comprising of lawyers and law clerks who speak many different languages including Greek, Serbian, Croation, Bosnian, Macedonian, Turkish, Singhalese, Cantonese and Mandarin. We also have a network of the very best interpreters who can attend interviews and appointments free of charge to the clients.

How much will I pay in legal costs?

When an injury is sustained it is not only a traumatic and often life changing experience, it also often causes great financial strain to the injured party and their family. This is why for 30 years Zaparas Lawyers has fought cases on a no win no charge basis. In simple terms this means that you do not pay anything unless you win your case.

To find out more about our services, please see the following links

  • WorkCover
  • Superannuation
  • Public liability
enquire online contact details