Not in Victoria?
Male truck driver driving transport vehicle for work

Frequently asked questions about TAC claims

Published on Posted on

Please note that this post was written for Victorian audiences and the information within may not apply to other regions.

Road accidents can be life changing. Serious accidents can leave you with injuries that impact on your ability to work or enjoy life with your family; physically, emotionally and financially.

It is often a stressful experience. But it’s important to know that if you’ve been injured in a road or transport accident, you may have a claim for compensation through the Transport Accident Commission of Victoria.

What is the TAC scheme?

The TAC is a no-fault insurance scheme that provides support and covers costs for those injured in motor vehicle accidents in Victoria. The insurance premium forms part of your vehicle registration.

Who can make a TAC claim?

Essentially, anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident including pedestrian accidents, cycling and bike accidents, motorcycle accidents and truck accidents. This includes the person at fault has entitlements under the TAC. But to be able to access TAC benefits, your accident must have occurred in Victoria or have involved a Victorian registered vehicle.

It is important to note that the level of cover is not the same Australia-wide. For example, the Queensland equivalent of TAC (known as CTP) is an “at fault” based scheme, which means you can only claim compensation if you were not at fault for the accident.

What TAC benefits are there?

Generally, the TAC will cover medical and treatment expenses including doctor’s appointments, rehabilitation and medication costs; weekly payments for lost wages; lump-sum compensation for permanent impairment as well as return to work services.

The entitlements are different depending on your involvement, however. For example, if the accident was caused wholly or partially by someone else’s carelessness you may be eligible to claim common law damages in addition to the basic entitlements.

Is there a timeframe for lodging a TAC claim?

A TAC claim must be started within one year of the accident, or when you first become aware of your injury from the transport accident. There may be some leeway given for claims made outside this timeframe if you have a reasonable excuse, as long as it is made within three years in total.

It’s important to note that the TAC will not consider anything outside of this, unless the person making the claim is younger than 18 at the time (where they have until they turn 21 to lodge).

Can I make a TAC claim if my accident happened outside of Victoria?

If you were involved in a transport accident interstate, there are reasons you may still be entitled to make a TAC claim. But this is generally only if the accident involved a Victorian-registered vehicle, and you are a Victorian resident or were an occupant of the Victorian-registered vehicle.

If you don’t fit either criterion, don’t fret – each state has their own road accident injury authority that you may be able to claim against, like a Queensland CTP claim.

How to lodge a TAC claim?

There are a few ways you can lodge a TAC claim including using the online lodgment form and calling TAC on 1300 654 329. But navigating the compensation system can be overwhelming.

Legal jargon, deadlines, medical reports – they are all necessary, but can difficult to understand, so Zaparas Lawyers are happy to assist you lodging your TAC claim.

Read more about how compensation is calculated under the TAC legal framework here.