Not in Victoria? Change location

Compensation From
Your Landlord

Compensation from your Landlord

If you rent a property in Victoria and have been injured in your rental property due to no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation.

Every landlord has a duty of care to their tenants to ensure the rental property is safe. Landlords are required to ensure the property complies with relevant building code standards and that qualified tradespeople carry out any repairs needed, in a timely fashion.

If you have been injured due to your landlord’s breach of his/her duty of care, you may be able to claim compensation.

We’re here to help

Tell us a little bit about your situation and our friendly team will be in touch.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Can I claim compensation?

If your landlord has failed to rectify, repair or replace any potential hazards within the property and you have been injured as a result, you may have a compensation claim. Each personal injury is different, and it is important to seek legal advice.

Our lawyers can assist in advising you on a No Win, No Fee basis.  This means that in the unlikely event that we don’t succeed in securing compensation for you, we will not charge you for any of our professional fees.


We get to know your story and understand your circumstances.

Home or hospital

If you can’t come to us, we can come to you.


We advocate for your rights and manage discussions with the insurance companies.

Keep you

Our team will regularly update you about the progress of your claim.

No Win,
No Fee

In the unlikely event that we don’t secure compensation for you, we will not charge you for any of our professional fees.

Read more client reviews


What are some examples of public liability claims?

Examples of successful public liability claims won by Zaparas Lawyers include slips and trips in supermarkets, shopping centres, private businesses, aquatic centres and sporting arenas. Even injuries at private residences, public places, school yards and parks could result in a successful claim.

I’ve slipped/tripped/fell and now I’m injured. What can I do?

Immediately after your injury, make sure you contact the relevant authority and lodge an incident report, take photos of the accident scene and gather details of any witnesses who saw the incident.

What will I be entitled to?

Your entitlement to compensation depends on the severity of your injury and whether it occurred as a result of the fault of another person. If established, you may be entitled to claim past and future medical and like expenses, and your loss of wages.

How long does it take?

You will only be compensated once your injury is considered permanent and stable, which is generally one year from when the injury occurred. After approximately one year from the date of your injury we will pay for you to be assessed by doctors who will make an assessment as to the permanency and stability of your injury.

Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may also be able to make a claim for a lump sum payment for pain and suffering. You will also have to establish that your injury occurred due to the negligence of another entity. We will advise you as to whether or not negligence can be established in your case.

I’m not sure if I want to pursue a claim. Are there any limitations of time?

You have three (3) years from the date of injury to commence a proceeding in public liability. If you are not sure if you would like to pursue a claim, continue to attend your doctor and hospital appointments and re-evaluate your decision once you have received some treatment and have a better idea of your prognosis.

What is the cost of the first consultation? What are the legal fees?

Zaparas Lawyers operates on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means that in the unlikely event that we don’t succeed in securing compensation for you, we will not charge you for any of our professional fees.

What should I bring to my appointment?

You should bring all relevant documentation you have such as medical reports, radiological investigations and any other documents that may be relevant to your appointment. Clear photographs of the place where you were injured are also beneficial. These photographs should be taken close to your date of injury, especially when an accident has occurred on a footpath or other public area as the area may be repaired by the time you attend our office for an appointment.

English is my second language. Can you still help me?

Being specialists in personal injury claims, we know how hard it can be to navigate the legal process, but it can be even harder when English is your second language. That’s why we employ a diverse group of people who speak over 15 different languages to make the process as smooth as it possibly can be.

If we don’t have a lawyer who can speak your language, we also have access to a wide network of professional interpreters, meaning we’re here to help you every step of the way in a language that you understand.

View more blogs